Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Voting

My mom was born and raised in British Colombia,Canada got married and moved down to the states.She had her first four children(there are seven of us) up in B.C to be near her family,but always came back down. She has always carried a green card and has never been able to vote, but growing up she always taught us kids the greatness of this country, to be grateful for our freedom and the importance of voting. My parents worked hard to make sure we would have this privilage and by the time we were in our teens three out of four (I'm included in that three) of us kids had recieved our citizenship. Ever since I turned eighteen I have tried to make sure I have voted whenever the opportunity has come. Yet as I was filling out my ballot this morning my children came up to me and asked me what I was doing. So I told them I was voting and they asked me what voting was and why, and I realized how much I have taken it for granted. I have not even attempted to teach my children the basics of our country. I realize I need to start teaching them all those things my mother taught me. As I slipped my ballot in the box I felt proud and grateful for this privilage, and I am grateful to all those who have made it possible for us all to have this privilage.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like you should send them to Grammy Wanda to have her explain this. She obviously taught you well. I need to talk to my kids about this more too.

J. Baxter said...

So happy you're blogging! Good point too. My wake up call was when I realized I knew all about the presidential election when I was in 3rd grade. I've done much better this year!

annie valentine said...

Yeah. My kids think the BYU "Y" Flag is our country flag. Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

Natalie said...

Hey, I just tagged you! Check out my blog for details.